Since 1982, high ability, high achieving 10th and 11th grade students have graduated from the competitive and transformative Lorenzo de Zavala Youth Legislative Session (LDZ) experience designed for future community leaders. Students form a cohort of 150 delegates ages 16-17 in community positions that propose, review, and adopt policies to advance the Latino community. The week-long quest covers a broad array of skills, competencies, personal growth opportunities, social relevance, and topics of national and international relevance to Latino quality of life.
This year, NHI will host three in-person LDZ programs and one digital LDZx (virtual) and will primarily serve former Great Debate and GDx students. For more information on availability for new NHI members, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to view LDZ brochure
- 10th or 11th grade students
- Must have a minimum of a 3.2/4.0 grade point average (GPA) or better
- Second-year NHI members only
PROGRAM Tuition & fees
- LDZ Program Tuition (In-person)
- NHI Student Club Rate - $920*
- Non- NHI Student Club Rate - $1,125
- LDZ x Program Tuition (Digital/Virtual)
- NHI Student Club Rate - $620*
- Non- NHI Student Club Rate - $750
* Be part of the NHI Student Club for $50/year and gain access to NHI program discounts, year-round online leadership and college prep events, monthly newsletters, and more.
- Payment deadlines are provided upon acceptance into the program. NHI offers flexible payment plans, as well as fundraising tools should families need additional resources.
LDZx, Digital Online Program
July 25 - August 1, 2021
CALIFORNIA LDZ, UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO
San Diego, California | July 11 - 18, 2021 | sandiego.edu
COLORADO LDZ, COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY-Ft. Collins
Ft. Collins, Colorado | June 27 - July 4, 2021 | colostate.edu
TEXAS LDZ, AUSTIN COLLEGE
Sherman, Texas | Jul 11-18, 2021 | austincollege.edu
- Complete online registration and submit a $25 registration fee.
- Upload a recent report card or transcript (last reporting period for 2019-2020 school year accepted)
- Enrollment Office reviews the application within 1-3 business days.
- Upon acceptance, please pay a $150 non-refundable deposit within 10 days.
- Upload the completed Parent Release Form.
- Complete final tuition payment by assigned deadline. (flexible payment plans available).